To create a holistic, culturally responsive learning community that produces champions – students prepared to lead in the classroom, on the field, in the city and in life.
To challenge and equip diverse student athletes by providing academic, athletic, and character development in preparation for leadership in post High School study and work.
WE BELIEVE LEADERSHIP IS THE ANSWER
In our city, there are thousands of girls and boys who find hope in sports but destruction, dysfunction, and frustration in almost every other area of life. We believe the young athletes coming from underrepresented neighborhoods are some of the most gifted leaders in our city. Yet they are also some of the most at-risk youth in our city and we are collectively failing to support their holistic development.
SOMETHING MUST BE DONE
With respect to the teachers, coaches, and mentors working every day with young student-athletes in our city, we are convinced there is a deep need to create a leadership initiative for urban student athletes where academic and athletic growth is the forum to develop the next generation of Champions for our city.
PORTLAND’S ONLY SIX WEEK SUMMER ACADEMY FOR DIVERSE STUDENT ATHLETES
Calling diverse student athletes who want to be champions:
- We’re looking for students who may need extra help preparing to enter the next grade
- We’re looking for girls and boys who want to learn a sport or up their game.
- We’re looking for leaders who want to make a difference in their communities
- We’re looking for young men and women who are willing to develop the character necessary to lead our city and change the world
CHAMPIONS MUST BE
- Passionate about learning
- Excited to grow as an athlete
- Eager to be a part of a diverse community
- Willing to step out of their comfort zones
- Committed to serving those around them
While ethnicity and family income are considered as factors in selecting an intentionally diverse group of Champions, we know that many families will not be able to afford the cost of full tuition. The Champions Academy has a scholarship fund designed to make sure money is not a barrier for Champions.