To create a holistic, culturally responsive learning community that produces champions – students prepared to lead in the classroom, on the field, in the city and in life.
To challenge and equip diverse students by providing academic, athletic, and character development in preparation for leadership in post High School study and work.
We believe in the inherent value of children and our privilege as educators to contribute to our future by serving them.
We believe in providing a curriculum and environment that emphasizes mastery and pushes every student to his or her personal best.
We believe that learning should be meaningful, provoke thought, sharpen skills, and spark and challenge ideas.
We believe that learning should include movement and laughter, coaching and counsel, conscience and character.
We believe that the student’s community and culture must be acknowledged and respected as an essential consideration in the learning process.
We believe that children learn differently and that educators must commit to discovering how each child is smart and assisting him or her to use unique strengths to address areas of weakness.
In our city, there are thousands of girls and boys who find hope in sports but destruction, dysfunction, and frustration in almost every other area of life. We believe the young students coming from underrepresented neighborhoods are some of the most gifted leaders in our city. Yet they are also some of the most underserved youth in our city and we are collectively failing to support their holistic development.
SOMETHING MUST BE DONE
We are convinced there is a deep need to create a leadership initiative for urban students where academic and athletic growth is the forum to develop the next generation of Champions for our city.
Champions Academy is a six week summer academy for diverse students
Calling all diverse student who want to be Champions:
- We’re looking for students who may need extra help preparing to enter the next grade
- We’re looking for girls and boys who want to learn a sport or up their game.
- We’re looking for leaders who want to make a difference in their communities
- We’re looking for young men and women who are willing to develop the character necessary to lead our city and change the world
Champions must be:
- Passionate about learning
- Excited to grow as an student
- Eager to be a part of a diverse community
- Willing to step out of their comfort zones
- Committed to serving those around them